Spring Hydrant Flushing
Spring is here once again, and with it comes our annual spring water main flushing. Our process will be much the same as it has been in recent years, flushing water mains throughout the Village, and should take about 3-4 weeks to complete. One thing that will be different, however, is that we may schedule additional flushes as needed throughout the summer months. These additional flushes will likely be isolated to specific areas, and will not be system-wide. This is being done as part of an ongoing effort to improve water quality. While we take a great deal of pride in the quality of the water we deliver to our residents, we will never take anything for granted and will always strive to provide the best possible water quality.
As we all know, flushing water mains can be an inconvenience for residents, but it is an essential maintenance procedure, the benefits of which are twofold. First, sediment resulting from natural mineral content can cause degraded water quality, and flushing is the most economical method by which to remove that sediment. Secondly, flushing water mains serves as a “stress test” for our distribution system, allowing us to identify and repair problems that arise from increased flows.
As we move forward, a few important things to remember are:
- Water mains will be flushed beginning the week of April 29, 2019. Operations will commence at 7am daily, and will normally end at 3pm. Flushing may, however, continue to as late as 7pm as circumstances warrant.
- Water main flushing will continue every weekday until we have flushed our entire distribution system. We estimate that the entire process will take 3-4 weeks to complete.
- We will begin flushing at the nearest point to our water source, which is our 50,000 gallon elevated water tank on South Chestnut Road. From there we will fan out to the east, south, and north all the way to the far reaches of our system. At that point we will return to the tank on Chestnut, fan out to the west, and repeat the process.
- Depending on a number of factors, a water main may take a matter of minutes to run clear, and sometimes can be a matter of hours. Mains are flushed continuously until the water runs clear, therefore it is difficult to establish an accurate timeline not only for completion, but for informing residents of exactly when their area will be flushed. Please keep in mind that the attached schedule is an estimate, and exact dates and times are subject to change as conditions warrant. Click the link below to view the tentative flushing schedule:
- PLEASE WATCH FOR SIGNS IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD. Areas scheduled for flushing will have signs posted at least 24 hours in advance to inform residents.
- During and after flushing, if you encounter discolored water, please open a cold water tap and let the water run for 5 minutes. If the water does not run clear after 5 minutes, shut the water off, wait 30-45 minutes and repeat. Do not run water constantly for hours, as this is wasteful and ineffective.
- If possible, avoid running hot water taps while the water is discolored. This will help keep sediment from settling in your water heater.
- To avoid staining, do not wash clothes when flushing is occurring in your area, or any time water is discolored.
Any questions regarding water main flushing can be directed to the Village of Monee Public Works Department at 708-534-8306.
5144 W Court Street
Monee, IL 60449
5144 W Court Street Monee IL 60449
Phone: 708-534-8306Fax: 708-534-1040Emergency: 911
Monday through Friday
7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
To report a concern after hours, contact the Laraway Communications Center at